Sunday, November 16, 2014
10 Ways To Unknowingly Crush Your Cat's Spirit
1. Not cleaning the litter box: Leave the box filled with kitty's waste because some new litters promise freshness for multiple days, so you wait till the weekend for that dreaded chore of cleaning the litter box. Imagine leaving your own toilet unflushed all week long, and you will know how your cat feels.
2. Shouting: Raised voices will terrify your cat. Feline ears are extra sensitive to loud noises, so yelling is amplified to extreme levels. A cat who hears shouting will flatten his or her head and look for a place to hide, away from the sound and fury.
3. Punishing: Yelling "bad cat", throwing things, motioning in anger, and scolding your cat when he or she misses the litter box or claws your sofa, tells her or him you are unhappy, even if they have no idea why. Grabbing him or her and shoving their face in a mess will leave them petrified. Their eyes will darken in fear, but will not alter their displeasing behavior because you are teaching them to be afraid.
4. Ignoring The Pain: Looking away when your cat repeatedly chews at a sore spot on their belly or furiously scratches at their ears. Cats are masters at hiding their discomfort whether an infected tooth makes eating difficult or a urinary tract infection means litter box visits are pure agony. Monitoring your cat's well being means being a pain detective so you know what ails your cat, even if he or she cannot tell you directly.
5. Leaving the Light Off: Left alone in a silent home when darkness falls, your cat will feel abandoned. Yes, cats can see in the dark,but why not provide a radio for murmured sounds of companionship, and a nightlight, a small beacon of brightness to remind Tabby that you will be home soon.
6. Teasing: Pulling on your cat's tail, blowing on face, ruffling the fur while they are sleeping, picking them up if they dislikes being handled, jiggling her in your arms. such antagonizing behavior confuses and depresses your cat who wants to love you. Why goad him /her into feeling dislike instead?
7. Skipping The Small Stuff: Never grooming your cat, allowing them to experience the discomfort of hairballs. Not trimming their claws, so that they snag them around the house. Not checking their ears for mites, even when they shake their head repeatedly. Ignoring their problems chewing even if it signals gum or tooth trouble. The little things add up and can deplete your cat's energy and health.
8. Hurting: Hitting, kicking, physically harming a cat in any way, from a "light tap" to a hard smack, is inhumane, evil morally wrong and guaranteed to instill fear in any cat. Breaking their spirit and their heart, in the process. Physical pain teaches cats to fear people.
9. Not Filling or Cleaning the Water Dish: Filling a small bowl with water and letting the cat drink from it no matter how long it sits, how much dust accumulates, what spills into it, then topping off the same bowl a few days from now without washing it. This gives your cat the opportunity to drink stagnant water, down to the last drop. And how many times have you enjoyed a bottled water today?
10. Neglecting Your Cat: Offering your cat no attention, no conversation, no affection, no interaction and no playtime leave your cat confused. They crave even the smallest gesture or word of kindness in exchange for their pure devotion to you.