Saturday, July 23, 2016
When you bring your new fur baby home, you may be more concerned with finding them a bed, water bowl, and bathroom routine.
What most pet owners do not consider is the need to pet-proof their home for the safety of their pet.
Avoid an emergency vet trip and keep your pet's healthy by keeping common household items away from them
Liquid Air Fresheners
It is natural to want to keep your home smelling fresh and clean. However the liquid air fresheners and potpourri that make your house smell so so good contain cationic detergent, which can be detrimental to your pet's health.
Cats especially may be tempted to lick the liquid.
The chemical can also irritate their skin.
In dogs may include difficulty in walking, pawing at the mouth or face and vomiting.
If you are an avid gardener or tend to have flea or tick medication lying around in the summer.
You may want to reevaluate your placement of these common household insecticides.
The products are packed with chemicals and if your pet ingests all of which can lead to death. If you need to protect your pet against fleas or ticks. talk to your veterinarian on what products are safe for your cat or dog.
Some pets have adverse reactions pyrethroids and pyrethrins, which are two common ingredients in flea and tick products.
When you buy a plant or bring home a bouquet of flowers you cat or dog might decide to nibble on the flower or leaf.
Unfortunately as a pet owner you need to be aware that some of the everyday plants you bring into your home can actually poison your pet.
Common household plants that pose a danger include lilies, azaleas, philodendron, mistletoe among others.
Painkillers & Other Drugs..
It is safe to assume that pills and creams should be kept away from your pet.
Dogs especially have been known to gnaw through tubes to eat products.
Any form of aspirin or ibuprofen, cold medication, anti-depressants, diet pills and even vitamins can be toxic to animals
If your pet is in pain, resist the urge to give them any form of pain killer as even acetaminophen can cause liver damage in animals.
Whether you use it for cooking or snacking, chocolate is one common household food item that can be very toxic to your pet.
The darker the chocolate the more dangerous.
Baker's chocolate is often thought to be the most dangerous because of the high levels of methylxanthine it contains.
Pets eat too much of this substance and will experience diarrhea, vomiting and excessive thirst and urination.
In some casters your pet will experience abnormal heart rhythms, tremors and seizures.
Tuesday, July 19, 2016
It is a good thing cats are suck picky eaters, because some of the foods we eat are not just bad for them. They can be lethal.
Onions, Chives, & Garlic
While you may love these foods, they can break down a cat's red blood cells and cause your cat to become anemic.
No great for you feline. This is because avocados contain Persin, a toxin that is generally harmless to humans, but can be toxic to cast (and dogs) in large quantities.
Alcohol should never be consumed by pets in any quantity. It has the same effect on your cast as it does on you, but your cat's body weight is a tenth to a twentieth of yours.
Many of us have a problem with chocolate but cats have real problems,. Chocolate contains Theobromine, which can be fatal to your pet. Never offer anything with chocolate, even icing on a cake.
While a dog can (ans most likely will) est cat food, it is bad idea for your cat to eat dog food. As felines have a higher protein needs than dogs. Eating dog food frequently will lead to malnourishment in your cat.
As it is with dogs, caffeine can be lethal to a cat. Be extra cautious that you do not leave coffee or tea where your cat can get to it. As there is no medicinal cure or antidote in case of an overdose.
Most cats are lactose intolerant, which can cause discomfort and diarrhea and dairy products can trigger food allergies.