Chocolate contains methlxanthines, which act as stimulants to our pets.
The darker the chocolate, the more methylxanthines it contains.
Methylxanthines can cause agitation, vomiting, diarrhea, high heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures and death....
7. Household Toxins
Cleaning supplies, such as bleach acids, alkalis and other detergents can cause corrosive injury to the mouth and stomach, Other household items such as batteries and liquid potpourri can cause similar problems. Always keep these toxins behind securely locked doors.
Both house plants and outdoor plants can be ingested by our pets. Lillies can cause life-threatening kidney failure in cats, while sago palms can cause liver failure in dogs and cats.
Keep house plants and bouquets away from your pets.
Many herbicides have a salty taste, and our pets will commonly ingest them.
Always follow label directions and keep pets off treated areas until they are dry.
10 Outdoor Toxins
Antifreeze, fertilizers and ice melts are all substances that animals can find outdoors.
Keep these items in securely locked sheds or on high shelves where pets cannot get to them.
If you have any reason to suspect your pet, or a neighbor's pet has ingested something toxic, please contact your veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center's 24 hour hotline at: